Textile Chemical Process Engineering is a field of specialization that applies the principles of the basic fields of chemical engineering, chemistry, physics, material science, health science and engineering to the understanding the processing of textile materials for functionality, attractiveness/aesthetics, and serviceability.
The duration of study for the B. Sc. in Textile Chemical Process Engineering will be 5 full academic years; each academic year will consist of 2 semesters each. Each semester lasts for a period of 4 months. The course consists of classroom lectures, tutorials and practical laboratory sessions counting total 310CP. Industrial visit and one semester internship program are also part of the curriculum. On instructions from the program, the students will have to work on specific tasks such as data collection, project work and similar works in semester breaks and annual breaks.
The Bachelor of Science in Textile Chemical Process Engineering degree program emphasizes the fundamental principles of polymer/fiber science and analysis, yarn and fabric manufacturing and characterization, processing and finishing of textile materials, dyeing and printing of textiles, smart and advanced textile materials. The program is highly relevant to many of the fiber, dyeing/printing/finishing, retail and textile processing industries, as well as environmental and related science.
The major features of the curriculum include the following:
- Core textile chemical processing courses with emphasis on fiber properties, manufacturing and characterization of yarns and fabric; processing, coloration and finishing of textile materials, textile and garment wet processing machines, smart and technical textiles.
- The practical education aspect of each course, laboratory/workshop exercises, and project work are given adequate scope.
- Modules related with quality control, mill management and environmental management are included in a way to capacitate the graduates with in-depth perspective of textile chemical processing.
- Courses are arranged in modules, which are envisaged to be helpful in organizing facilities and planning of staff requirement/development in more structured way.
- In order to accredit the program by European Accreditation Institution to keep up to the international standard, the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) is used. ECTS credits are a value allocated to courses to describe the student workload required to complete them. They reflect the quantity of work each course requires in relation to the total quantity of work required to complete a full year of academic study at the institution that is, lectures, practical work, seminars, private work- in the library or at home- and examinations.
- A method of teaching for due engagement in seminars and research is adopted by term papers, assignments and thesis or project work.
Upon completion of the courses (Bachelor Degree in Textile Chemical Process Engineering ), the student will have gained a deepened knowledge about textile Polymer and fibers physical and chemical structure and properties, the structure-property correlations and manufacturing of yarns and fabrics, basic principles of processing, coloration and finishing of textile materials and product design and development. The program also gives deepened knowledge about the applications of technical textile as industrial product. This graduate program in Textile Chemical Process Engineering addresses the advancements in science and technology and as well as the applicable technology of manufacturing in relation to processing and analysis of textile materials for different applications.
Applicants interested in being considered for admission should have academic backgrounds in disciplines/professions relevant to the study major of interest, and are required to substantiate their keen interest in continuing their careers in areas relevant to Textile Chemical Process Engineering.
Applicants must complete 12 grade national exams with entrance result to universities as per ministry of education. And those who competed level II and above (TVET) with one year technical support or teaching service at university or equivalent shall be admitted based on recommendation of affiliated organization. Equivalency will be evaluated at the discretion of the program administration, academic achievements and profile, as well as pertinent professional experience.
- Textile Chemical Process Engineering graduates both in private and government sectors gain employment in the costume, banks, industry development agencies, chemical and polymer industries, ginning industries, fashion and textile industries, including product developers, textile technologists, technical managers, property evaluator, research and development managers, and quality control managers.
- This degree course also helps in further studies such as M.Sc., M.Tech, M.Phil., Ph.D., etc. and then the applicants can also go in the teaching line.
- The Major Competent with some new technologies in textiles are
- Smart textiles
- Plasma technology
- Nano technology
- Bio mimetic coating technology
- Sol- gel technology
- Bio technology
- Tissue engineering
- Technical textiles and smart technical textiles
Textile chemical Engineer, Process engineer, Quality engineer, Production manager, Industrial Engineer, Process Improvement Engineer, Maintenance manager, Textile chemicals expert, Textile machinery and spare part manufacturing expert, Polymer, Fiber and textile chemical textile testing expert, Textile mill planner, Factory layout designer, Sales Engineer, Textile product designer.
Graduates of Textile Chemical Process Engineers find employment in a wide range of positions in diverse industries. Individuals with a textile engineering background can find employment in a wide range of industries and work settings. Medicine, mining, sports, education, transport manufacturing and etc. are just a few industries that require the knowledge of Textile Chemical Process Engineer. Whether researching new materials, improving existing manufacturing processes or creating new products the works of a Textile Chemical Process Engineers are very extensive.
Textile chemical Process Engineers apply the principles of engineering to the design and manufacture of textile chemicals, polymers, fibers, textiles, and apparel and associated processes and products. It is a multidisciplinary role requiring sound knowledge of chemical, industrial and mechanical engineering. Chemical companies that produce colorants, polymers and fibers employ Textile Chemical Process Engineer to develop and improve their manufacturing processes. Firms that use smart materials, biomedical materials, composites sports textiles, aerospace textiles, and transport industries use these engineers to research and develop high-performance fabrics. Some Textile Chemical Process Engineers spend their entire careers in the lab conducting research into complex materials.
Some of the areas that the Textile Chemical Process Engineers deal with are:
- Capable to transfer knowledge and skill in fiber and textile chemistry through engaging at university capacity building
- Implement basic and applied research works to solve problems in manufacturing, process development and improvement of existing products
- Identify problems and offer workable solutions in the short and long-term
- Conduct viable and techno-economic studies to establish new research projects and actual setting up of textile processing industry and related units
- Engage in the revival of sick industrial units; modernization of textile units; improvement in production and productivity; quality improvement, and cost reduction.
- Process control of textile finishing sectors in the capacity of technical head
- New Product Design and Development, Manufacturing and Finishing
- Lead Quality Programs, Implement Quality Control, along with property analysis within the workplace in accordance with National and International Standards
- Train cross-functional teams for quality improvement and train others in design for quality
- Review and analyze written data and customer comments, then identify causes and actionable items
- Be part of the problem solving society in making decisions
- Conduct practical researches that contribute to innovative, optimal and efficient use of fiber and polymer products
- Interact effectively with experts of other disciplines
List of Academic Staff Under Textile Chemical Process Engineering
|1||Adane Haile||M||M.Tech||Associate Professor||On Duty|
|2||Dr. Melkie Getnet||M||PhD||Asst. Professor||On Duty|
|3||Dr.Tamrat Tesfaye||M||PhD||Associate Professor||On Duty|
|4||Esubalew Kasaw||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|5||Kalkidan Tadesse||F||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|6||Gemeda Gebino||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|7||Mengistu Tesema||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|8||Hiwot Elmineh||F||B.Sc||Ass. Lecturer||Perusing M.Sc|
|9||Adina Fanta||F||M.Sc||Chief Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|10||Tesfaye Kindu||M||B.Sc||Senior Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|11||Terefe Belachew||M||Senior Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|12||Hodewa Banti||F||Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|13||Yalewlet Arega||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||Perusing PhD|
|14||Fisseha Wubneh||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||Perusing PhD|
|15||Yimer Hussien||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||Perusing PhD|
|16||Bayu Teshome||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|17||Chirato Gudina||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|18||Nuredin Mohamed||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|19||Gashaw Azene||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|20||Demesew Efrem||M||B.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|21||Natinael Kokeb||M||B.Sc||Assistant lecturer||Perusing M.Sc|
|22||Eneyew Tadese||M||Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|23||Melkemaryam Almaw||F||B.Sc||Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|24||Melese Tesema||M||B.Sc||Senior Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|25||Dr. Abera Kechi||M||PhD||Associate Professor||On Duty|
|26||Tamene Wagaw||M||M.Sc||Assistant Professor||Perusing PhD|
|27||Zewdie Kiflu||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|28||Tadele Asmare||M||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|29||Beletech Alemu||F||M.Sc||Lecturer||Perusing PhD|
|30||Belaynesh Zemene||F||M.Sc||Lecturer||On Duty|
|31||Mekdes Mastewal||F||B.Sc||Assistant lecturer||Perusing M.Sc|
|32||Metekie Limeneh||F||Senior Tech. Assistant||On Duty|
|33||Anemaw Techelo||M||Technical Assistant||On Duty|
|34||Sisay Muche||M||B.Sc||Technical Assistant||On Duty|
|35||Endalew Mesfin||M||Technical Assistant||On Duty|
Belete Baye [Lecturer]
Textile Chemical Process Engineering Department Head
Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology [EiTEX]
Bahir Dar University -EiTEX
P.Box: 1037 Bahir Dar/Ethiopia
Tel: +251 583 205 300
Fax: +251 582 26 62 46