About Institute Industry linkage
University-Industry Linkage is an essential condition for knowledge and technology transfer from university to the industry. Graduates of the university and research outputs have to be captivated by the industry. The outcomes of research undertaken in universities have to be transferred to the industry and impact the living standard of the society.
Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology (EiTEX) is a premier institute under Bahir Dar University is responsible for human resource development in Textile, Apparel and leather in Ethiopia.
EiTEX Community Service and Technology Transfer
The Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology (EiTEX) was established as a Textile Technology Department in 1963 under Bahir Dar Poly Technique Institute. For about 33 years the training program was in the level of Diploma and Advance Diploma in the field of Textile Technology. In 1996 the Department of Textile Technology changed to Textile Engineering Department and the training program correspondingly promoted to Degree level. Far along in 2009 the Textile Engineering Department of Engineering Faculty under Bahir Dar University promoted to Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology. Until the recent time the Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology is the prime institute in supplying trained labor force for Ethiopian textile and apparel sector industries for last five decades. After its establishment, as an institute, EiTEX has stated, its mission and vision that will be enabled it strong for academic training, research and outreach activities in national as well as in Regional level in Textile, apparel and leather sectors.
To address the outreach activities, EiTEX community service and Technology Transfer Office began its duty by reviewing all possible channels in EiTEX against conventional technology transfer channels between universities, industries and the surrounding communities being used elsewhere. The most common and effective Community service and technology transfer activities so far EiTEX engaged in addition to the human embedded knowledge transfer, are:
- Institute-industry cooperative research
- Feasibility study in Textile Apparel and leather sector
- Consultancy service for large and small scale industries
- Short term training in Textile Apparel and leather sector
- Incubation of social enterprise in the handloom sector in collaboration with ITC
- Prototype development of machineries for small scale manufacturer in the sector.
- Testing service of cotton, yarn, fabric, leather and related materials for different institutions and industries.
EiTEX is working with different stake holders and institutions in the sector to address the outreach activities, some of these are:
- Textile, Garment and leather industries
- TVET and poly technique collages
- Ethiopian Textile Industry Development Institute
- Leather Industry Development Institute
- International trade center (ITC)
- Regional SME
EiTEX is working to strengthen the Institute-Industry linkage through applied research, training and technology transfer delivery ultimately for the communities, industries of the sectors by which it stands.
Some examples of such activities are:
- Developing antimicrobial socks For T&T socks factory.
- Removal of dark color contamination from dyed fabric In Almeda Textile Factory
- New Product Development for Military Uniform using Vat Dye, Almeda Textile Factory
- Cost effective wet processing, Bahir Dar textile Sc and Kombolcha Textile Sc
- Improving efficiency and productivity In GMM garment factory
Biniyam Solomon [Lecturer]
IIL and Community Service Director
Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology
P.O Box: 1037
Bahir Dar University
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia