Leather Engineering Program
1. Background of Leather Engineering Program
Leather Engineering is a profession that deals with application of scientific and Engineering principles to the design and control of all aspects of leather processing, leather materials, leather chemistry, leather products manufacturing and machinery. These include leather materials, interactions of materials with machine, safety and health, energy conservation and waste and pollution control. Additionally the professionals are also enabled to do leather plant design and layout, leather product manufacturing design and improvement and designing and creating leather products.
In Leather Engineering, it is essential to discipline the engineers, who can use recently developing technologies and have the properties on realizing production and modification of any leather type by using basic or alternative methods to usage place and aims, controlling physical and chemical properties in all stages of the leather production, evaluating and marketing of leather items, reducing solid wastes and effluents of leather industry and converting these wastes to a suitable form for achieving to the economy as an additional value.
some of the typical tasks the professionals are expected to deal with after completing their study are:
- To be able to utilize the knowledge of mathematics and science in Leather Engineering profession.
- To have basic and modern knowledge about Leather Science, Leather Technology, Leather design and production of Leather Goods.
- To be able to define, interpret and solve the problems related to Leather Engineering
- To be able to design and apply a trial/project in Leather Engineering field and to make a conclusion with evaluating the experimental data.
- To be able to use advanced techniques and modern tools necessary for Leather Engineering applications.
- To be able to perform executive abilities (leadership, organization, time and risk management, quality awareness, productivity, etc.)
- To have social responsibility and ethical conscious.
- To show awareness to the universal subjects such as environment, health, productivity, quality and security in solving Leather Engineering problems and to realize the solutions.
- To be able to use the information technologies necessary for Leather Engineering field.
- To be able to show a skill of evaluating and marketing of leather items.
Leather Engineering profession can be acquired and mastered by graduates who are well educated to enter to and dedicated to continue growing in the profession. An undergraduate Leather Engineering program meant to produce such graduates with sufficiently broad and deep base of leather technology, design, machineries, control systems, excellent knowledge in product development and manufacturing technologies supported by extensive practical exercises and industrial internship, sufficient practices in the use of computers and applications of software related to the field, sufficient knowledge of management concepts and communication skills etc.
2. Mission of Leather Engineering Program
· To produce well equipped and competent Leather Engineering professionals in the sector.
· To transform the Leather sector and make it internationally competent. ·
· To enhance Leather product design and quality.
· To improve Leather Processing/Production by creating process Substitution for industries.
· To generate human power who serve research Institutions.
· To serve the nearby community and transfer technology through knowledge and skill based practices.
· To create professional development opportunity for TVET graduates.
The main objective of the program is to provide broad-based technology, design and production knowledge and skills in Leather Engineering Program.
4. Rationale ofLeather Engineering Program
Leather Engineering is one of the main fields that can play leading roles in the economical development of a country. Cognizant of the fact that the leather sector is not benefiting from the country’s strong raw material base and the marketing opportunities given to the developing countries, the Government of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE) established different Institutes with main objectives of producing trained professionals, conducting research and development activities, rendering consultancy services and providing technical support to the sector. In this regards EiTEX also took the responsibility of to produce professionals with broad-based education and training in Leather technology, design and manufacturing; to enable graduates to be creative, adaptable, problem solver in the challenges of the professions in rapidly changing environment that exists in the globe. These changes require the ability to apply existing knowledge in new ways thereby creating new systems and opportunities as well as adapting existing Ethiopian traditional leather design. Moreover, it aims to initiate, develop and sustain research activities that are critical for the conditioning of advancement of the Ethiopian Leather sectors involved in leather production and design. Leather industry faces a major crunch in terms of well-trained manpower in the area of technology, manufacturing and design with adequate grasp of the technical and cultural matters. This work force should be enabled to implement the decisions taken at higher levels.
The Leather Engineering program prepares students from diverse backgrounds to be leather technologist, designer and production expert by providing a professional environment in which students learn by working in tandem with top technologist and designers.
5. Course Detail
The leather engineering program is a 5-year program composed of 10 semesters. The hands-on curriculum combines technical and business skills to prepare graduates for a variety of employment opportunities in the leather industry and different private and public organizations. The program is structured to challenge and motivate students in all aspects of leather engineering, including: Core Leather Engineering courses like:
Ø Leather Processing
Ø Leather Product Design
Ø Leather production techniques
Ø Leather Garment Construction
Ø Leather Finishing
Ø Leather Accessories
Ø Leather Analysis And Quality Control
Ø Leather product marketing
Ø Computer application - CAD
The courses in the syllabus are categorized into modules in accordance to their relevance to each other. Leather Engineering curriculum contains 24 modules. All students are obliged to take 24 modules commonly in the ten semesters.
6. Teaching-Learning Methods and Materials
The teaching-learning method adopted for the transfer and/or acquisition of knowledge includes:
Ø Classroom Lectures backed by course-work projects, tutorials and assignments
Ø Design projects
Ø Workshop practice and laboratory works.
Ø Industrial visits.
Ø Industrial practice.
7. Leather Engineering Career Options
The students who graduated from Leather Engineering program can be employed at Leather factories, leather chemicals firms, companies producing leather products(leather garment, accessories), import and export agencies, leather consultants, Environmental agencies, Quality standard Authority, various public and private organizations and most importantly as self employed (entrepreneur).
Some of the typical career options where Leather Engineering professionals are expected to work are:
- Leather industry and Technical Service Management in Capacity of General Manager, Technical Manager, Operation Manager, Maintenance Manager, Supervisor, Forman, Sales Manager.
- Plant Design, Equipment Selection, Plant Erection, Commissioning Operation and Maintenance
- Test leather products to ensure accuracy and integrity of meeting customer requirements.
- Lead Quality Programs
- Support continuous improvement in the leather processing and manufacturing industries.
- Review, and analyze written (or otherwise) data and customer comments, then identify causes and actionable items
- Identify problems and offer workable solutions in the short and long term.
- Train cross-functional teams for quality and productivity improvement
- Implement Quality Control, along with Material Testing, within the workplace in accordance with National and International Standards
- Implement applied research work to solve problems in manufacturing, process development and improvement of existing product.
- Have close contact to research organizations
- Leather and leather product Sales and Marketing
- Offer Technical Services, Input and Knowledge for the financing of leather project;
- Offer Technical Service, Input and Knowledge for the higher policy making bodies of the nation, region for the development of leather Industry
- Work with Engineers, Technologists and Experts from other disciplines (including those from Management Disciplines) for the development of leather processing and product manufacturing.
The graduates holding Bachelor’s Degree in Leather Engineering are also eligible to apply to Master’s Degree programmes at national level and /or international level both in the same and in related disciplines.
8. Admission Requirement
The main target groups are graduates who have obtained University entry qualification can apply for the study program. Diploma holders with appropriate background can join based on the criteria set by the institute. An extension program (part-time evening classes) may be launched by re-scheduling the course break down according to the time available. Selection will be based on the students' performance and interests.
9. Duration of Study
It is a five-year study program covering 300 ECTS with 24 modules.
Tariku Assefa [Lecturer]
Leather Engineering Program Head
Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology
Bahir Dar University
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia